Monday, April 2, 2012

Smartphones: Are They Getting Too Big?



Tech:

Is bigger always better? This question can be swung in two directions when it comes to purchasing a new piece of technology. When I say two directions, I am talking about the purpose that your piece of technology will be used for, and the time frame that you purchased your product.

For instance, you may want the largest possible LCD TV that can fit in your living room, that way you can receive maximum exposure when it comes to watching the big game or a movie. Yet when you are finding a TV for your kitchen you are not going to want to have one that takes up too much space (at least in my own opinion).  This would fall along the the purpose that you will be using your technology.

When I state the time frame when purchasing a product, the example that clearly demonstrates time frame is the size of our iPods. When the iPod first came out  10 years ago they were the size of the classic iPod we see today, yet 2 years later everyone wanted small iPods; iPod Nano (which is even smaller today). Then the introduction of the iPad came about and everyone started to want bigger screens.

So here we are today, and I feel that when we begin to look at the smartphone industry, the general consensus is that the bigger the screen size the better the product. So is bigger really better....in the sense of owning a phone?

This is a question that I have found myself asking regarding my upcoming phone upgrade. I was instantly drawn to the Samsung Galaxy Note when I came across it back in October, and if Verizon offered the Galaxy Note, then I would already own the phone.

I was playing around with the Samsung Galaxy Note just the other day and thought it as the coolest phone on the market (granted I HATE the Samsung stock interface), but then I got to thinking, how the hell would someone be able to carry this phone around in their pocket.

Now I understand that females can carry this phone/tablet around in their handbag but the capabilities that come along with this phone is more for the business person, so no college age, gossip queen, chick will have a purpose with this phone.

So now I find myself in a tight decision where I do not know whether or not to purchase a phone of this magnitude.


When I purchased my HTC Droid Incredible 2 years ago, I thought it was going to be the largest and most popular phone on the market for a long time. The size is easily comparable to the iPhone which too is a great size for a smartphone. So why did manufactures (Samsung, Motorola, and HTC) begin to make phones larger in screen size?

I feel that the clear answer to this question is due to the popularity with tablets. More specifically the iPad. Since the price of tablets are much closer to the smartphone price tag on these high end phones, manufactures that are not Apple feel the pressure to make a product that can compete with the iPad and the iPhone.

What seems to be the main barrier is the operating system; Android. Now I love Android and hate everything about Apple's OS, but Android just cannot stay in the race with Apple, when it comes to keeping up in the tablet market.

With this problem, I feel that manufactures (that operate with Android OS) must be asking themselves, what better way to compete against Apple than to create a product that offers the same perception as a tablet but still be a phone? And it is for this reason I feel that we are starting to see smartphone's screen sizes grow.

Because when looking at the competitor; Apple, they have not increased their size at all with the iPhone, and the iPad is a clear leader in the tablet market, so Apple does not need to compete with other manufactures with size, because they have two quality products, with such a strong brand loyalty that they are making a killing off of the same consumer buying an iPhone and an iPad.

Now that I have gone slightly off topic, what should I do when it comes to purchasing a new phone? Go bigger with the Samsung Galaxy Note? or maybe stay with something more reasonable in size and go for the Galaxy Nexus?

Let me know what you think, leave a comment down bellow or "Like" our Facebook Page and leave a comment/message there.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...